Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Mattie's Recipe Box

Posted by Mattie 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
November 04, 2008 11:53AM
Ever have one of those days when you'd really like some Pie but the creepy restaurant owner is too busy fattening up the couple at the next table to serve you some? Ever been tied up and sacrificed to an Apple Orchard God? Things like that might turn you off from good ole' fashioned @#$%& forever, wouldn't they?

Well, it isn't exactly the story that was handed down to me by my Grandma, but our family stopped baking '@#$%&' years ago for the following recipe.

The story goes that when our family first moved to Texas, they were really missing the pie that they'd had "back East". (this would've been around 1844 or earlier, before Texas was a state) Guess they forgot to bring their Pagan Apple God with them. :P So they came up with a recipe using what they had - Soda Crackers and cinnamon. It's been a family tradition to have this pie for Thanksgiving and X-mas in our family all these years, so I'm glad to be the one baking it for the family now.

Here's the recipe as it was handed down to me by my Grandma. Soda Crackers = Saltine Brand Crackers. And a hint - DO NOT use low sodium crackers in this recipe. Notice how it doesn't call for additional salt? There's another, similar recipe using Ritz crackers, but IMO, this one is the better recipe. Then again, our family has spent generations perfecting it. They should know. :D
Mock @#$%& Pie
(aka:  Cracker Pie)

1 1/2 Cups Water
1 1/2 Cups Sugar
1 1/2 Teaspoons Cream of Tarter
18-20 Saltine Crackers, broken in large pieces
1/2 Teaspoon Cinnamon
1/2 Stick Margarine or Butter
1 1/2 Tablespoons Lemon Juice
2 Uncooked Pillsbury Roll-Out Pie Crusts (1 package)

Roll out 1 pie crust into 9" pie pan. Set aside.
Mix water, sugar and cream of tarter in medium saucepan. Bring to a boil.
Add broken saltine crackers. Reduce heat to simmer.
Add remaining ingredients (cinnamon, margarine, lemon juice).
Simmer 2-3 minutes until margarine is melted.
Pour mixture into uncooked pie shell.
Cover with 2nd pie crust.
Vent (poke with a fork); and seal edges (fork tines make a great fluted seal)
If desired, brush with melted butter, sprinkle cinnamon and sugar over top.
Bake at 350 degrees (F) for 30 minutes.
Allow to cool.

Turn this.....Into This!

Here's how...
.... broken crackers.... add to saucepan and simmer.... add ingredients
.... simmer 2-3 minutes
.... pour into pie crust
.... cover
... vent and flute (looking pretty now, eh?).... bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes

Enjoy, and Happy Holidays!

10 out of 10 technical experts have declared that I'm too technical

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/04/2008 11:55AM by Mattie.
November 19, 2008 02:39PM
Oh that looks yummy!!....doesn't seem too hard to make....thanks for sharing Mattie:D, I might try making it.

Never mind, I'll find someone like you
I wish nothing but the best for you
Don't forget me, I beg
I remember you said,
"Sometimes it lasts in love but sometimes it hurts instead."
November 20, 2008 08:58AM
Ursula
Oh that looks yummy!!....doesn't seem too hard to make....thanks for sharing Mattie:D, I might try making it.
Cool, I'd love to know how it comes out. It really is easy. (makes the whole house smell great too) :)

What's funny is how many people SWEAR the chunks of crackers are actually apples. That's why you only break them into pieces instead of crumbling them up.
November 20, 2008 02:23PM
Mattie
Ursula
Cool, I'd love to know how it comes out. It really is easy. (makes the whole house smell great too) :)

What's funny is how many people SWEAR the chunks of crackers are actually apples. That's why you only break them into pieces instead of crumbling them up.

Yes well I'll try....I've only ever made dinners...I'll probably end up burning it. I'll let you know. I can understand how that happens....kinda funny though.

Don't forget me, I beg
I remember you said,
November 20, 2008 02:44PM
Ursula
Mattie
Ursula

Yes well I'll try....I've only ever made dinners...I'll probably end up burning it. I'll let you know. I can understand how that happens....kinda funny though.

What's really fun is making them guess what it is. ;)

Sorry I don't know conversions for measurements and temps if you're metric. I can probably find it on Food Network. 350 Farenheit is the most standard temp here. Here's a tip: if it looks like it's starting to burn, wrap tin foil around the edges. :)
November 20, 2008 07:01PM
Mattie
Ursula
Mattie
Ursula

What's really fun is making them guess what it is. ;)

Sorry I don't know conversions for measurements and temps if you're metric. I can probably find it on Food Network. 350 Farenheit is the most standard temp here. Here's a tip: if it looks like it's starting to burn, wrap tin foil around the edges. :)

Yea that should be fun:D

It's ok either do I....It's ok...I have to rely on guess work...difficult to explain because I bet you lot haven't a clue on what a range is...well basically the temperature thingy breaks quite easily(mine has) anyway it can't be harder than baking an apple one...tin foil ok good I'll remember that, thank you!:D

Don't forget me, I beg
I remember you said,
November 26, 2008 01:54PM
Baklava...

Ok, I'm on the hunt for a good Baklava recipe. A co-worker gave me some suggestions... use cardamom instead of cloves; heat the syrup to 225F and have it ready to pour hot syrup over hot baklava straight from the oven; use LOTS of butter!!! (found one recipe that says use no butter at all, but what my co-worker made was delish! I'm sticking with that)

Here's Alton Brown's Baklava recipe from Food Network. Anyone else have one I can try? O:-)
November 26, 2008 05:38PM
Nope...but if you want a dessert recipe I can help...but eh it does contain alcohol;).

Don't forget me, I beg
I remember you said,
November 27, 2008 12:30AM
Ursula
Nope...but if you want a dessert recipe I can help...but eh it does contain alcohol;).

I definitely have nothing against alcohol. Any recipe you want to share is always welcome. >:D<
November 28, 2008 01:53PM
ok I don't know if you get Bailey's cream over there or not but if you do here's a dessert recipe....haven't tried it myself yet though.

Strawberries and Baileys Fool:

Ingredients:

1 pint strawberries, washed and hulled, with 6 reserved.
2 cups heavy cream
1/2 cup of Bailey's cream
convectioner's sugar, for dusting

Directions

Chill 6 stem glasses while preparing the fruit. In a blender of food processor, puree the strawberries until smooth. Whip the cream until stiff. Add half of the strawberry puree and the Baileys to the cream and blend until smooth. Remove the cooled glasses from the fridge and devide the strawberry/ cream mix into the bottom quarter of each glass.Spoon over the fruit puree and continue to alternate the layers of cream with fruit. Slice the reserved strawberries over the top and sprinkle with convectioners' sugar.

Don't forget me, I beg
I remember you said,
December 02, 2008 02:54PM
Mattie
Baklava...

Ok, I'm on the hunt for a good Baklava recipe. A co-worker gave me some suggestions... use cardamom instead of cloves; heat the syrup to 225F and have it ready to pour hot syrup over hot baklava straight from the oven; use LOTS of butter!!! (found one recipe that says use no butter at all, but what my co-worker made was delish! I'm sticking with that)

Here's Alton Brown's Baklava recipe from Food Network. Anyone else have one I can try? O:-)

How's this for timing? Last night's episode of Good Eats (http://www.foodnetwork.com/good-eats/index.html) showed THAT ^^^ recipe. I knew I picked a good one! *does happy dance*

Oh, and my co-worker's version uses 5 layers of Phyllo and rolls in the nuts like a jelly roll. It still calls for 2 WHOLE sticks of butter just like the one linked above. Yummm.

Ursula
ok I don't know if you get Bailey's cream over there or not but if you do here's a dessert recipe....haven't tried it myself yet though.

Where would the world be without Bailey's? Sounds great! Can't wait to try it!
December 04, 2008 01:05PM
Mattie
Mattie
Baklava...

How's this for timing? Last night's episode of Good Eats (http://www.foodnetwork.com/good-eats/index.html) showed THAT ^^^ recipe. I knew I picked a good one! *does happy dance*

Oh, and my co-worker's version uses 5 layers of Phyllo and rolls in the nuts like a jelly roll. It still calls for 2 WHOLE sticks of butter just like the one linked above. Yummm.

Ursula

Where would the world be without Bailey's? Sounds great! Can't wait to try it!

Exactly!..well the brewery in the next town from me would be out of business. Oh I made the pie...looked nice, what I mean about that is...*rolls her eyes* My family ate it on me! nothin' left....I'm gonna make another one and I sware if it's touched there will be skin and hair flying.

Don't forget me, I beg
I remember you said,
December 07, 2008 06:24PM
Ursula
Exactly!..well the brewery in the next town from me would be out of business. Oh I made the pie...looked nice, what I mean about that is...*rolls her eyes* My family ate it on me! nothin' left....I'm gonna make another one and I sware if it's touched there will be skin and hair flying.

Well, that's what food's made for - being eaten. spinning smiley sticking its tongue outLOL

~ There is a "lie" in believe, "over" in lover, "end" in friend, and an "if" in life.
And after Monday and Tuesday even the calendar says W.T.F. ~
December 08, 2008 11:09AM
xDeanWinchesterx
Ursula

Well, that's what food's made for - being eaten. spinning smiley sticking its tongue outLOL

Dean! the point of the matter is they didn't leave me any of it.

Don't forget me, I beg
I remember you said,
December 08, 2008 10:26PM
Ursula
xDeanWinchesterx
Ursula

Hey, but it's good they liked it! (seriously don't recommend trying the recipe with skin and hair.... spinning smiley sticking its tongue out)

December 09, 2008 03:26PM
Mattie
Ursula
xDeanWinchesterx
Ursula

Hey, but it's good they liked it! (seriously don't recommend trying the recipe with skin and hair.... spinning smiley sticking its tongue out)

*Laughs* oh ha ha you know what I ment.

Don't forget me, I beg
I remember you said,
December 09, 2008 04:19PM
Ursula

And??? LOL

~ There is a "lie" in believe, "over" in lover, "end" in friend, and an "if" in life.
December 09, 2008 05:11PM
xDeanWinchesterx
Ursula

And??? LOL

*Sighs* I give up!tongue sticking out smiley

Don't forget me, I beg
I remember you said,
December 09, 2008 05:38PM
Ursula

Good. I want some pie. burgerdaydream

December 09, 2008 05:41PM
xDeanWinchesterx
Ursula

You had a whole pie! raspberry

How about roasted tomatoes instead? heart cool smiley
December 09, 2008 06:01PM
Mattie
xDeanWinchesterx
Ursula

See theres an offer you can't refuse Dean.tongue sticking out smileyLOL

Don't forget me, I beg
I remember you said,
December 09, 2008 06:06PM
Mattie

I did?

Dunno. Vegetables?? confused

December 09, 2008 06:08PM
Ursula

I'm not all into vegetables. smoking smiley

December 09, 2008 06:21PM
xDeanWinchesterx
Ursula

I'm not all into vegetables. smoking smiley

*Shrugs* Either am I.

Don't forget me, I beg
I remember you said,
December 09, 2008 06:56PM
Alright Deany Doodle (I'm going to remember that namespinning smiley sticking its tongue outLOL) Thats my grans recipe.

Strawberry Rhubarb Pie:

Ingredients:
Pastry - 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup (1 stick) chilled unsalted butter, cut into pieces
4 to 5 tablespoons cold water

Filling - 2 cups rhubarb, washed and sliced
1 cup strawberries, washed, hulled, and sliced
1 cup sugar
2 tablespoons cornstarch
1 egg mixed with 1 teaspoon water for glazing

Directions:

In a food processor, combine the salt and flour. Add the butter and pulse until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add the water and process until the dough comes together. Turn out onto a lightly floured work surface and knead gently to form a ball. Divide in half, pat each into a thick, flat circle, cover with wax paper, and refrigerate 1 hour.

Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.

For the filling: Roll out one round of dough between two sheets of lightly floured wax paper and fit it into a 9-inch pie pan. In a large bowl, combine the rhubarb, strawberries, sugar, and cornstarch. Spoon filling into prepared crust. Roll out the other round of dough between wax paper. For a lattice crust, cut into strips and lay over the filling to make a lattice, crimping the edges together firmly. For a top crust, lay round of dough over fruit, cut decorative steam vents near the center, and crimp edges together firmly. Brush crust with egg wash. Bake for 20 minutes, then lower the heat to 375 and bake for 30 more minutes, or until crust is brown and the fruit is bubbling. Serves 8.

Don't forget me, I beg
I remember you said,
December 10, 2008 09:19AM
xDeanWinchesterx
Mattie

I did?

Ok, you get salad for dinner the rest of the week. tongue sticking out smiley

Thanks for the pie recipe, U. Strawberry Rhubarb is one of my dad's favorites. I'll have to make him one. Sorry the whole meat situation is happening there. We had the same thing here but with spinach. Thought they got rid of it finally and it happened again. Can't believe I went a whole year without spinach. sad smiley confused

I'll see what other recipes I can find for you. Uhhhh, how's the poultry situation? worried

Here's one tomato recipe spinning smiley sticking its tongue out
[www.foodnetwork.com]

I used chipotle cheddar instead of mozzarella. drool

They're a bit off-season, but you can always have fried green tomatoes too. Did you know why they only fry the green ones? winking smiley grinning smiley
December 10, 2008 12:44PM
Mattie
xDeanWinchesterx
Mattie

I did?

Thanks for the pie recipe, U. Strawberry Rhubarb is one of my dad's favorites. I'll have to make him one. Sorry the whole meat situation is happening there. We had the same thing here but with spinach. Thought they got rid of it finally and it happened again. Can't believe I went a whole year without spinach. sad smiley confused

I'll see what other recipes I can find for you. Uhhhh, how's the poultry situation? worried

Here's one tomato recipe spinning smiley sticking its tongue out
[www.foodnetwork.com]

I used chipotle cheddar instead of mozzarella. drool

They're a bit off-season, but you can always have fried green tomatoes too. Did you know why they only fry the green ones? winking smiley grinning smiley

*laughs* Good luck with that Dean!

No problem Mattie. Yuk no I don't like spinach so that wouldn't bother me....Yea imagine what Irish people were like today....everyone is moaning about sausages(including me)sad smiley and they reckon it's going to cost at least a billion to rectify the situation. It's alright so far. Think everyones too afraid to eat now. Don't like tomatoesoops (I know I've been told before, I'm fussyoops)

Don't forget me, I beg
I remember you said,
December 10, 2008 01:19PM
Ursula

No problem Mattie. Yuk no I don't like spinach so that wouldn't bother me....Yea imagine what Irish people were like today....everyone is moaning about sausages(including me)sad smiley and they reckon it's going to cost at least a billion to rectify the situation. It's alright so far. Think everyones too afraid to eat now. Don't like tomatoesoops (I know I've been told before, I'm fussyoops)

Oh, but green tomatoes are nice and... firm. winking smiley

Mmmmm, I love spinach. I was literally running around like Oliver Twist, "please, sir, can I have some spinach?" Yes, it was sad. Very sad. Hun, I have recipes that can make anything taste like... anything else. I've got Linda McCartney's cookbook, pretty sure there are some "sausage" recipes in there too. I'll have a look. It isn't the pork that gives sausage that great flavor, it's the spices ADDED to the pork. I made crackers taste like apples after all, didn't I? smiling smiley

December 10, 2008 02:19PM
Mattie
Ursula

Mmmmm, I love spinach. I was literally running around like Oliver Twist, "please, sir, can I have some spinach?" Yes, it was sad. Very sad. Hun, I have recipes that can make anything taste like... anything else. I've got Linda McCartney's cookbook, pretty sure there are some "sausage" recipes in there too. I'll have a look. It isn't the pork that gives sausage that great flavor, it's the spices ADDED to the pork. I made crackers taste like apples after all, didn't I? smiling smiley

*laughs* Yea we were like that today!...*shrugs* sausage is sausage...ok thanks!...true enough...don't get me started on how they thought crackers were apples.LOL

Don't forget me, I beg
I remember you said,
December 11, 2008 09:01AM
Ursula
Alright Deany Doodle (I'm going to remember that namespinning smiley sticking its tongue outLOL) Thats my grans recipe.

I'm going to remember it too, sweetheart. smoking smiley

Mattie

Ok, and you get... *stops* embarrassed

Ursula

*grinning*

Mattie

Mmmmm, I love spinach. I was literally running around like Oliver Twist, "please, sir, can I have some spinach?" Yes, it was sad. Very sad.

And you love nice and... *grins*

Don't know about spinach but maybe something else. angel

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/11/2008 09:37AM by xDeanWinchesterx.

Online Users (Users active in the last 15 minutes)

Guests: 4
Record Number of Users: 3 on May 13, 2012
Record Number of Guests: 213 on April 08, 2024
Rock Salt Journals Forum - Forum Statistics

Global
Topics: 115, Posts: 12,503, Users: 128.
Our newest member rajeshdesa.

This forum
Topics: 4, Posts: 101.