Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

eye popping smileyShutter Island - review - no spoilers

Posted by pirateypirates 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Gunnar Eyewear - Especially for Computers! How do you think I'll look in these? ~Mattie

Gunnar Eyewear Gunnar Gaming Eyewear PPK Cobalt/Snow Frame
avatar eye popping smileyShutter Island - review - no spoilers
February 24, 2010 08:31PM
popcornIf I could sum up this movie in two words..."disturbingly brilliant."

The story is that a U.S. marshal (Teddy) and his new partner (Chuck) are called to investigate the disappearance of a patient in a hospital for the criminally insane. The place is on an island and it's an extremely reinforced and guarded. The fact that someone could disappear seems impossible. The two find themselves on this small island filled with dangerous murderers and start to wonder if there is something more going on.

I was really expecting it to be a scary movie...the kind where things jump out and make you scream. That's what the commercials make it look like, but in reality it is more of a psychological thriller/mystery with with a few jumpy parts, and even a bit of humor. While it wasn't that "pee your pants" type of film I was expecting, the intensity was never lacking and there was an eerie feel to the whole thing. The simple but powerful music that was used and how it was filmed kinda made me think of Hitchcock's Psycho in a way.

The plot is really quite stunning. It’s unpredictable and weird and full of twists and turns. This is not the type of movie you watch and then continue on with your day without giving it much more thought. After watching it, I felt that I needed a minute to just sit there and process what I’d just experienced. It actually felt as though my brain had melted by the end. grinning smiley

DiCaprio (Teddy) really did an amazing job with this as well. His character is extremely complicated and conveys a multitude of emotions and I don’t think it could have been done better. Really, all of the acting is very well done.

I have yet to read the book, but a friend told me it’s very good and the movie follows it well.

If you have not seen it, then I highly suggest you don’t hear the ending beforehand, because it will ruin the whole experience.

arrr!Hokay. So. Anyone else seen it? I’d love to hear your thoughts.

"The kraken stirs. And ten billion sushi dinners cry out for vengeance."
avatar Re: eye popping smileyShutter Island - review - no spoilers
March 02, 2010 10:38PM
pirateypirates

While it wasn't that "pee your pants" type of film I was expecting . . .

Another way to describe that kind of movie: "Don't dare let Mattie watch it or NO ONE in the house will be sleeping for a month." LMAO

Thanks for the review. Love Hitchcock. Hate horror. oops Kilroy

10 out of 10 technical experts have declared that I'm too technical
March 05, 2010 03:35PM
Mattie
Another way to describe that kind of movie: "Don't dare let Mattie watch it or NO ONE in the house will be sleeping for a month." LMAO

LOLhehe
Yer welcome.

March 19, 2010 09:16PM
Mattie
pirateypirates

While it wasn't that "pee your pants" type of film I was expecting . . .

I also LOVE Hitch....but horror...I like it too....a lot! I am a ghoul...thanks for the review...will add to my must see list if I ever get out again...lolsurrounded by sharks

There is nothing more gentle than strength, nor anything as strong as true gentleness.
November 18, 2010 06:28PM
Sparrow, I finally saw Shutter Island. I loved it.smiling bouncing smiley Thanks for the recommendation..I always watch DiCaprio because I love his choice of projects. they are usually really difficult roles to play.applause

There is nothing more gentle than strength, nor anything as strong as true gentleness.
November 19, 2010 11:03PM
Blue
Sparrow, I finally saw Shutter Island. I loved it.smiling bouncing smiley Thanks for the recommendation..I always watch DiCaprio because I love his choice of projects. they are usually really difficult roles to play.applause
Yayy! I'm glad you loved it! Yeah, he does great workgrinning smiley

Online Users (Users active in the last 15 minutes)

Guests: 4
Record Number of Users: 3 on May 13, 2012
Record Number of Guests: 213 on April 08, 2024
Rock Salt Journals Forum - Forum Statistics

Global
Topics: 115, Posts: 12,503, Users: 128.
Our newest member rajeshdesa.

This forum
Topics: 8, Posts: 157.